Classic Salade Niçoise
Use good quality tuna packed in oil, not water, for the best flavor. This serves four as a main dish. Pairs nicely with a crisp white such as a sauvignon blanc or a rose.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt ground black pepper
- 1 lb. Yukon gold or new potatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot salad
- 1 cup about 6 ounces, cooked green beans
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 4 ounces butter lettuce arugula or other greens
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives such as kalamata or Niçoise
- 3 or 4 hard-boiled eggs roughly chopped or quartered
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 7 oz. can tuna packed in olive oil
Prepare the vinaigrette:
In a small bowl or jar, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, two pinches of salt, coarse ground pepper and shake or whisk together until emulsified. Set aside until needed.
Prepare the potato salad:
Steam or boil the potatoes just until tender. Cut into bite-sized pieces while still warm and toss gently with the white wine and stock. After a few minutes, toss again.Toss half the vinaigrette with the potatoes, chopped parsley and shallots.
Finish the salad:
Arrange the cooked green beans, tomatoes, lettuce, hard-boiled eggs and olives in a bowl. Toss with the vinaigrette. Arrange the elements onto four plates, top each with the anchovies and tuna.