Joanne Weir talks about the unexpected turns her culinary life took as part of a discussion about her seventeenth book(!), Kitchen Gypsy: Recipes and Stories from a Lifelong Romance with Food (Sunset). Our fun, engaging conversation wanders from her early days at Chez Panisse to cooking across Europe to life owning her own acclaimed restaurant in San Francisco. Learn more about her wonderful PBS series “Plates & Places” or sign up to cook with her in exotic locale as part of her Culinary Journeys program. Not ready to travel? Consider taking her online Mediterranean cooking class. Learn more at her web site, Joanne Weir.com
Fish & Squash Ribbon Skewers with Pistachio-Mint Salsa Verde
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup salted roasted pistachios coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Two pinches sea salt
- A few grinds of fresh black pepper
for the fish
- 1 1/2 pounds skinned fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
for the skewers
- 3 to 4 large zucchini about 1 lb. total
- 18 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Make the salsa verde
- Combine mint, parsley and garlic on a cutting board. Chop finely together. Put into a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, pistachios, lemon zest, juice, salt and pepper. Stir well to mix. Set aside.
Make the marinade
- Cut the fish into 1-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, combine chopped mint, oregano, chives, thyme, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Stir together. Add fish and toss gently to coat.
Prep the vegetables
- Use a vegetable peeler to slice zucchini lengthwise into paper-thin ribbons. When you reach the middle, turn over and repeat. Continue until you have only a thin middle slice. Thinly slice it, or discard. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
- Briefly saute the tomatoes
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook until wilted, about three to four minutes. Let cool.
- In a bowl, toss zucchini ribbons with remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to coat. Thread fish cubes, vegetable ribbons and tomatoes onto skewers. Weaving each zucchini ribbon over and under to create a wave. Season finished skewers with salt and pepper.
Cook the skewers
- Preheat an oven to 425 F/218 C. Place skewers on a baking sheet atop a silicon mat or parchment. Roast in hot oven for about seven minutes until cooked through.
- Alternately, put a grill pan over high heat. Brush with oil. Cook skewers on each side for 2 to 3 minutes until the fish is cooked through. Serve with salsa verde.